Outside Trim Question

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
fhil

Outside Trim Question

#1 Post by fhil »

I just had 9 replacement windows installed. The windows are nice and all the interior work was done real nice. My question concerns the capping of the windows. I had four double hung and two picture windows replaced on the front of the house. Above the windows the bricks set on a lintel, (I think that this is what the correct term is) I would think that the capping should end under the lintel, but it does not. It actually is bent so that it is sticking out in front of the lintel. Also, there is no caulking used above the window. I called the contractor about this and someone is coming out to look at it. What is the proper way for this to have been done? Just to make it a little clearer. On another post that I read, there was mention of a tension bend. It looks like this was done along the bricks on the vertical sides of the window and along the top, but the bend is not under the lintel.

ProfX

#2 Post by ProfX »

Fhil, I really can't get a picture in my head of what youre trying to describe with your lintel. When I do a brick house and i'm capping the head piece, I use a tension bend on the window, then usually come out 1 3/4" over the chiseled blindstop, then up 2" over the face of the brickmold, then I come out let's say 3" for example acroos the lintel and then 1/2" up to the brick in front of the lintel, then I caulk where the capping goes up 1/2" in front of the lintel to the brick. The only time I dont cap a steel lintel is if it is flush with the brick overhead instead of recessed a half inch. In that case there would be no way to seal it. Hope this helps partner.